The Long Weekend

June 11, 2012

Ah, lovely long weekend - last one til November here in Melbourne though :(  We had friends for dinner on Saturday night so I bought these flowers for the table.  I can't remember what they're called (something starting with an 'E') and their perfume is unusual.  When I had set the table and lit the candles, Paul said 'Bit much isn't it?'  Honestly...

I've lost my ability to bake - I tried making a pie and the pastry shrunk after baking it blind so much there was nowhere for the filling to go.  With an hour to go, I decided to just go to the local bakery instead and buy a cake - I just pointed to this one as it looked the prettiest.  It was flourless I think, some sort of hazelnut/almond meal confection. It was really good, and worth the exorbitant price (when did cakes get so expensive?).

I also bought a succulent to live in my glass cloche/bell jar - hopefully my black thumb doesn't kill this one off like the many plants before it.

16 comments:

  1. Oh well, least your home looks gorgeous!
    What a kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The table looks so lovely!

    Are they jonquils maybe?

    The cake looks delicious! I love flourless cakes. I am sure your baking ability is still there! Plenty of baking appropriate weather coming up to get back into it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they are jonquils - perhaps the name starting with 'E' was the botanical name?

      Delete
  3. They are jonquils, best smell ever! Your kitchen looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those flowers have a strong perfume don't they! Can't remember what they're called either... I think the key with the succulent is not to over-water it, especially if there is no drainage, and you won't lose much moisture with the bell jar over it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sarayh. Hopefully I remember to water it!

      Delete
  5. What about the stuffed jalapeno poppers!! They were the fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to take a picture! They were bloody good though weren't they?

      Delete
    2. Best entree I've had in years!!

      Delete
  6. Your table setting looks so pretty the magic of candles they win me over every time! Uhhggg I feel your pain about the baking - I just blame it on my crappy old oven :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you'll be fine with keeping the succulent alive! I actually tried to get rid of a whole bunch of succulents in my garden because I wanted to start completely fresh but there are more! I swear I ripped them out completely, I have no idea how they came back.

    I LOVE the table setting. It looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol at Paul re the table setting! So something my man would say they really just don't understand do they?? Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete